Dental veneers are ultra-thin shells of porcelain or composite resin material. These shells are usually bonded to the front of your teeth. The procedure is considered an ideal choice to improve the appearance of your front teeth. Dental veneers are a great option to brighten discolored teeth, cover up chipped and cracked teeth, and improve the smile and overall appearance of an individual. Veneers have its own advantages as well as disadvantages. In most cases, the advantages of veneers will outweigh the disadvantages of it. This article provides information on porcelain veneers disadvantages.
Dental veneers are considered an excellent alternative to dental crowns in many situations. They offer a much better approach to changing the color, size, and shape of a tooth compared to crowns. A veneer can easily mask tooth defects such as stains due to tetracycline or damage due to root canal procedure and other injuries. They are great for masking discolored front teeth in your mouth. If you have teeth that are chipped or worn or gaps between your teeth, you are an ideal candidate for dental veneers. Veneers usually last for long when performed by a qualified dentist in the proper way. This is why you need to pick the right dentist to perform the procedure. Reputation and experience of the dentist count a lot in this regard.
Choosing a reputed and experienced cosmetic dentist may not be an easy task after all. There are many cosmetic dentists in your area, but all of these professionals are not created equal. It is important that you do your homework when picking the right dentist for the procedure. The internet offers a great resource to find an experienced cosmetic dentist in your area. Search the net for cosmetic dentists in your town.
You may find a list of dentists in your area for such a search. Go to the websites of these dentists to get an idea about the services they offer as well as their charges. This way you can find a reputed and experienced cosmetic dentist in your area. Asking for referrals from your family dentist is another method to choose a reliable cosmetic dentist in the area. Most of the time, your family dentist might be in a position to bond the veneers to your teeth. If not, he or she may recommend a qualified cosmetic dentist to handle the procedure.
With the right cosmetic dentist, a patient may require at least three appointments for the entire procedure. The sessions include diagnosis, treatment planning, preparing the tooth, and bonding. You need to take an active part in planning your smile. Try to understand the limitations of the veneer procedure. You may have several consultations, if needed, in order to be comfortable that your dentist understands your objectives.
In order to prepare your teeth for the veneers, the teeth will be slightly buffed to allow for the thickness of the veneers. Approximately half a millimeter of the tooth is removed under local anesthetic conditions. Porcelain veneers require a mold to be taken for the teeth. This mold is sent to the laboratory for the fabrication of the veneer. It may take a few days to complete. If your teeth are too unsightly, you can request a temporary veneer for an additional cost.
When the veneers are ready, the dentist will place each one on the affected teeth to check the fit as well as get a sense of the color and shade. At this time, you need to pay close attention to the veneers, especially the color of it. Even at this point, the color of the veneer can be adjusted with the cement to be used. But the color cannot be altered in any way once the veneers are cemented. In order to apply the veneer, your tooth is cleansed with a specific bonding agent. Then, a special cement is sandwiched between the tooth and the veneer. A light beam will harden the cement so that the veneer sticks to the tooth.
Now for the information on porcelain veneers disadvantages. In fact, there are quite a few disadvantages of porcelain veneers such as:
- Not everyone is eligible for a porcelain veneer due to many reasons. If you have weakened or decayed teeth, suffer from a serious periodontal disease, suffer from teeth grinding issues or have bad teeth enamel, you will not be eligible for dental veneers.
- The high price is another disadvantage of dental veneers. It may cost you a considerable amount of money if you have to apply veneers to more than one tooth.
- Fragility is another disadvantage of dental veneers. In fact, they are quite durable if you maintain them properly at all times. But if you are grinding your teeth even on an occasional basis, the veneer is prone to break. Eating hard food items and applying excessive force on your teeth are also not conducive to dental veneers.
- Since a part of the enamel is removed to apply the veneer, you may experience teeth sensitivity later on.
- Once applied veneers are irreversible. They cannot be removed or changed after that. Broken veneers are difficult to replace unless it is entirely replaced. This is why you need to care for your porcelain veneers.
- The risk of trauma is present when applying dental veneers. Although a little enamel is removed to accommodate the veneer, there are times when more enamel has to be removed to apply the veneer. It may cause trauma to the tooth in the long run.
The aforementioned article provides information on porcelain veneers disadvantages.